Jamestown Rediscovery archaeologists found 10 onion-shaped glass bottles made in England between 1680 and 1700, clustered upright on the dirt floor near one wall of an 8 x 20 foot rectangular cellar. Other bottle fragments found in the area indicate there may have been as many as 30 wine bottles stored there. One of the intact bottles bears a glass seal with the initials “FN,” which indicates it belonged to someone of wealth and status. During the 17th century, it was customary for high-ranking gentlemen to order wine bottles from England stamped with their personal seal. It may be the mark of Francis Nicholson, the governor of Virginia from 1698 to 1705.
This reproduction piece closely resembles the bottles found on site, and was hand blown at the Jamestown Glasshouse.
Bottles measure roughly 5 ½” – 6” diameter at its widest points and 6 ½” – 7” tall.
Each piece is handmade and no two are exactly identical. Hand wash only.