All that remains of the palisade fence at James Fort are stains in the soil. In the spring of 1607, the fort walls were constructed of logs set upright into a narrow slot trench.
The remains of a James Fort Period (ca. 1607-1624) post-in-ground building, designated Structure 184, were found towards the western corner of James Fort.
In the summer of 2003, archaeologists discovered the remains of the western bulwark ditch of James Fort.
Historic records say the first settlers lived in "holes within the ground," which these pits likely represent.
This graveyard has 29 grave shafts that likely holds remains of English colonists who died in 1607.
This burial may belong to one of Jamestown's founders, Captain Bartholomew Gosnold, who died three months after the colony began.
This brick well appears to have been built around 1617 and filled in with trash during the 1620s.
Ten intact but empty wine bottles were found in what could have been the cellar of Governor Francis Nicholson's house.
Two large structures with brick chimney bases could represent the first governor's residence in James Fort.
The southern end of an earthen 1861 fort had a gun platform and three large powder magazines.
This is likely the addition to the governor's house built by Captain Samuel Argall during his deputy governorship between May of 1617 and April of 1619.
More than 120,000 artifacts were recovered from the trash layers in this well's 16-foot-deep shaft.
An earthen, raised gun platform for cannon probably stood here, because no postholes for a wooden deck structure were found.
This 1607-1624 cellar began as a place for metalworking and was later converted into a bakery with two brick ovens.
This building may have been burned by its owner, William Drummond, when he and other rebels burned Jamestown in Bacon's Rebellion in 1676.
The large Virginia Company storehouse in the center of the fort was a market place, a storehouse, and a corps de garde.
This cellar may mark one of the first forms of shelter built at Jamestown in 1607—a "mud and stud" building—and later incorporated into larger structures.
Several churches have stood on this site, including the host of the first representative assembly in English North America.
The triangular fort of 1607 was soon expanded toward the east to make a five-sided form. This area held evidence of early agriculture.
This large structure just outside the fort wall had several rooms, three brick hearths, and evidence of several uses.
A merchant/politician named John White owned this land in 1644, and this structure may have been his warehouse with living quarters on the second floor.
This circular feature, roughly 15 feet across and 6 feet deep, could have been storage space for the cannon at the southeast bulwark.
This defensive work included evidence of a trench made by digging soil to pile up along the palisade, thus creating a greater defensive barrier than a palisade alone.
The carpenters who built this large building did not work from architectural plans but used traditional "mud and stud" building methods from home.
One shaft held a young man likely killed by blood loss from a musket ball wound. The other held a middle-aged woman who had immigrated to Jamestown just before her death.
This square shaft could be James Fort’s first well, dug in late 1608 or early 1609 on orders of Captain John Smith.
Archaeology found the first substantial church at Jamestown right where historical documents described it: in the very middle of the fort.
This early "mud and stud" building may have been a guardhouse to store arms and armor and house soldiers at the ready for duty.
This L-shaped cellar had steps cut into the clay, signs of metal working, two bread ovens with brick façades, and forensic evidence of survival cannibalism.
This multi-purpose pit from the early years of the colony was one of the first pits found by the Jamestown Rediscovery project in 1994.
An early James Fort period pit outside the wall.
In 2016 the team discovered a large James Fort period cellar (1607-1624) just outside of a 1608 addition to the fort.
Four prominent men were buried in the chancel of the 1608 church.
The brick church tower is the only remaining above-ground structure from early Jamestown. For centuries, visitors have made pilgrimages to this symbol of America's birthplace.