This circular pit, Pit 5, was located north of the factory and just outside of the east wall of James Fort’s 1608 addition. Pit 5 was approximately eight feet in diameter, with a depth of three feet. The bottom contours of the feature were rectangular in shape, which suggested that it might have been a cellar. Unfortunately, it was difficult to determine if there was a structure associated with Pit 5 because there were numerous Jamestown churchyard burials surrounding it. These burials were later and potentially wiped out evidence of any postholes that may have been associated with a building around the pit feature. The artifact assemblage dates the Pit 5 to c. 1608-1610. Among the finds was a Virginia Indian reed mat section that had survived due to its proximity to a large piece of scrap copper, which preserved the reeds.