Dig Updates 2016

Archaeologist recording with total station in brick church

December 2016

Periodically and weather permitting, the Jamestown Rediscovery archaeological staff is continuing field work during the winter months. Our primary focus is to expand excavations in the […]

Read more
1617 carved into tile

November 2016

This November, Jamestown Rediscovery completed uncovering James Fort’s 1608 extension, which was first discovered back in 2003. In 2003, while working at the north bulwark, archaeologists […]

Read more
Large group listens to tour guide while archaeologists record finds

October 2016

Following the completion of the well excavation in September, the Jamestown Rediscovery team concentrated on finishing their excavations of Structure 193’s cellar, located at 1608 James […]

Read more
Assortment of lithic flakes in a screen

September 2016

After two years of excavations into the cellar located at the corner of James Fort’s 1608 addition, the team finally focused on excavating the well within […]

Read more
Archaeologists excavating by a brick church

August 2016

As is often the case, the most compelling features surface after our annual summer field school, and students and interns have departed. This year was no […]

Read more
Students excavating planting furrows

July 2016

The Jamestown Rediscovery archaeology team bid adieu to the 2016 Field School participants in July. With their help, we learned more about the east palisade wall […]

Read more
Aerial view of wheelbarrows and students shoveling in square excavation units

June 2016

June brought the opening of the 2016 Jamestown Rediscovery Field School and the opportunity to investigate areas adjacent to the north side of the 1907 Memorial […]

Read more
Archaeologist troweling in an excavation unit

May 2016

During the first couple of weeks of May, the Rediscovery team focused on excavating the occupation layer in the cellar located at the northeast corner of […]

Read more
Archaeologist indicating features in an excavation unit wall

April 2016

During April, archaeologists completed removal of all the trash layers filling the cellar at the northeast corner of the 1608 extension (Structure 193). Several interesting iron […]

Read more
Round artifact in situ

March 2016

At the end of March, the archaeology team returned to the field and focused their efforts excavating the cellar of Structure 193, located at the northeast […]

Read more
Man standing on a ladder and dusting the top of a museum display next to a window

February 2016

This month, the Rediscovery conservation team focused on iron objects recovered from the cellar excavated in 2015. While several large pieces of armor were found, many […]

Read more
Knife blade undergoing conservation

January 2016

Although James Fort is famous for being the location of the first permanent English settlement in the New World, archaeology has shown that it was familiar […]

Read more