The tall obelisk that looks like the Washington Monument in the nation’s capital was placed on Jamestown Island by the United States government in 1907 for the 300th anniversary of the settlement. Click here to learn more about this monument.
The Pocahontas statue is one of the most famous images of Jamestown Island. Her hands are worn a bright copper color because so many visitors have held them while posing for photos. The statue has appeared on postcards for generations, though it features historical inaccuracies such as clothing more fitting for a Plains Indian woman. Click here to learn more about this statue.
The brick and iron entrance to the land owned by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (now Preservation Virginia) was a gift from the Colonial Dames of America. It was presented May 9, 1907, and then relocated to its present location northeast of the Memorial Church in 1957.
Captain John Smith’s most famous adventures were as one of the first settlers of Jamestown. Today his bronze statue stands within the outlines of the original fort and is one of the most recognized features of Historic Jamestowne. Click here to learn more about this statue.
The Reverend Robert Hunt (1568-1608) was the first Anglican minister of the colony. The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Virginia erected a shrine in June 1922 to commemorate the earliest celebration of the Holy Communion in the first permanent English settlement in America. Click here to learn more about this monument.
This small obelisk commemorates the first representative democracy in English North America. The first meeting of Virginia’s General Assembly was in July 1619 in a church a few feet from where the obelisk stands at Historic Jamestowne today. The monument was unveiled July 31, 1907, during the 300th anniversary of the Jamestown settlement and was a gift of the Norfolk branch of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (now Preservation Virginia).
The large wooden cross that stands just outside the entrance to the Archaearium museum was erected by the APVA in 1957 to honor the memory of settlers who died in the first years of colony. It was dedicated by the Rev. Henry Knox Sherill, then presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church.
The inscription reads: “To the Glory of God and in grateful memory of those early settlers, the founders of this nation who died at Jamestown during the first perilous years of the colony. Their bodies lie along the ridge beyond this cross, in the earliest known burial ground of the English in America.”
The water trough that sits just outside the Yeardley House offices of the Jamestown Rediscovery Project was placed on the island in an era when people still rode horses. The bronze basin was a gift from the Society of Colonial Wars in 1907 and designed by noted architect Harold Van Buren Magonigle.