Shop

Church Ruins Plate

$24.00

SKU: 40162 Categories: , , Tags: ,

Description

Decorative plate, front depicts remains of the 1680 church tower on Jamestown island, as well as cows wading in the nearby river.

The 17th-century brick church tower is the last surviving above-ground structure from the days when Jamestown was the capital of Virginia. The tower has survived fires, the fortification of the area during the American Civil War, and decades in which it was left to molder in the thick woods that grew after the colony’s capital moved to Williamsburg in 1699.

Back of the plate reads “Historic Jamestowne. The site of the first permanent English settlement in America, and the foundation for representative government, free enterprise and cultural diversity in America. 1607-2007, 400 years of American history. Site of Jamestown”.

Plate measures approximately 8 ½” in diameter