The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA), was founded in 1889 for the purpose of saving historic properties such as Jamestown Island. In 1893 the AVPA (now Preservation Virginia) took ownership of 22.5 acres on the west side of Jamestown Island, the site of the first permanent English settlement in North America. In 1934, the National Park Service acquired the remaining 1,500 acres of Jamestown Island, saving it forever from private development.
Today, Preservation Virginia is the oldest statewide preservation organization in the United States and has helped save more than 400 historic sites.
This enameled pin measures 1″ x ⅝” at its widest points, and features the logo Preservation Virginia adopted after shortening its name in 2009.