From the Introduction:
“Standing sentinel at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, the Old Cape Henry Lighthouse is a visible reminder of America’s important maritime past.
Built in 1792, the Old Cape Henry Lighthouse is one of the oldest surviving American lighthouses and the first federal works project to have been authorized and completed by the new Federal government under the direction of President George Washington. The lighthouse was in active use for nearly a century, protecting ships from crashing in the dangerous waters off the Virginia coast until a replacement cast iron lighthouse was built nearby in 1881.
In 1930 Congress presented the Old Cape Henry Lighthouse to APVA Preservation Virginia to ensure its preservation for posterity. Today visitors to the lighthouse can climb the stairs to the top of the tower and enjoy spectacular views out across the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean.”
This publication gives you the history and preservation of the Old Cape Henry Lighthouse along with the need and construction of the New Cape Henry Lighthouse. Included are beautiful photographs of the site and additional photographs from the APVA Preservation Virginia Archives.
|Title:||Old Cape Henry Lighthouse|
|Author:||Catherine E. Dean, Benjamin Knowles (Photographer)|
|Dimensions:||7 x 0.125 x 10 inches|