Window leads, or “cames,” are the grooved leads used to hold together panes of glass in casement windows during the 16th through the 19th centuries. These window components were created by casting strips of lead, and then cranking the strips of lead through a vice or hand-mill. Window leads are sometimes marked on the inner surface with the name of the glazier, and the date in which it was produced. Thus, marked window leads provide an invaluable method for helping archaeologists date a site or deposit.
The window lead section seen here is stamped E.W.*1693*R.A., and was found in a brick-lined cellar also containing several intact wine bottles from ca. 1680-1700. The glazing on the lead, in addition to other artifacts from the deposit helped determine that the structure dated to the late 17th century.