In 2016 the Jamestown Rediscovery team season completed excavation of the backfilled cellar at the northeast corner of the fort’s 1608 addition. Work focused on a well shaft in the bottom of the cellar and removing the remaining fill to expose the cellar floor. In 2016 archaeologists also explored areas in and around the early-20th-century Memorial Church in order to better understand the earlier churches that stood there between 1617 and 1750. Due north of the Memorial Church, the team discovered planting furrows or small agricultural ditches relating to the first English attempts at farming in 1607.

Dig Update Archive, 2004-present

Latest posts