In 2014 archaeologists found the northeast corner to the James Fort 1608 addition that turned the fort into a five-sided space. At that corner the Jamestown Rediscovery team started to uncover a large cellar relating to an early fort period building that may parallel “The Factory” building found near the southeast corner of the fort. Two lines of large postholes were discovered heading north from this building, which may be part of an even larger fort expansion previously unknown to history. Excavations also took place just outside James Fort’s west palisade wall near where Bartholomew Gosnold had been found previously in an effort to find other burials. Click the Dig Update links below to learn more about these explorations.