The 2006 dig season focused on the excavation of an early fort-period well in James Fort’s north corner. Other features included two pits filled ca. 1610 that the Jamestown Rediscovery team calls “soldier pits.” When the fort had more tents than buildings, soldiers slept in these shallow depressions and kept their gear there. The archaeologists also explored a late 17th-century boundary ditch and features related to the addition to one of the rowhouses dated ca. 1617. To better interpret the site for visitors, archaeologists also reconstructed portions of James Fort’s palisade walls and one of the mud and stud structures. Read the Dig Updates below for more details about these efforts.