The Jamestown Rediscovery team is currently excavating outside of the Memorial Church to learn more about the 1617 church as well as the two later 17th-century churches built on the same site. Jamestown’s second church, which was constructed beginning in 1617, is where representative government in English America began with the convening of the first General Assembly from July 30 to August 4, 1619.
The Memorial Church recently re-opened after undergoing two years of excavations within the building’s interior followed by the installation of a new floor and exhibits. The updated space reflects the original footprint of the 1617 church. Additional exhibit components, including digital information panels, will be added over the next several months to explain more about the original church as well as the significance of the first assembly.