Captain John Smith’s most famous adventures were as one of the first settlers of Jamestown. Today his bronze statue stands within the outlines of the original fort and is one of the most recognized features of Historic Jamestowne.
Unveiled on May 13, 1909 the statue has a granite base and measures 20 feet tall. The inscription on the base reads: “John Smith, Governor of Virginia, 1608” and features Smith’s coat of arms and motto, vincere est vivere (“to live is to conquer”).
11″ x 14″ matted print by staff photographer Charles Dufor.