Hand-thrown in Maine, this small redware bird bottle is similar to those made in the early 18th century by the Poor Potter workshop in Yorktown, Virginia. One such bottle was found about 5 miles north of Jamestown at Green Spring Plantation.
Bird bottles, or “martin pots” were advertised for sale in the Virginia Gazette in 1752. These earthenware bird houses would be mounted under the eaves of buildings to encourage birds to nest in areas where trees were lacking. The birds were useful for their control of the insect population.
Features include a set of holes that are meant to support a twig, creating a perch (twig not included).
Measures approximately 7” tall, 4” wide on the widest point of the body, 3” diameter mouth.
Out of Stock Request Form