Written by Roberta Estes, the foremost expert on how to utilize DNA testing to identify Native American ancestors, DNA for Native American Genealogy is the first book to offer detailed information and advice specifically aimed at family historians interested in fleshing out their Native American family tree through DNA testing.
Figuring out how to incorporate DNA testing into your Native American genealogy research can be difficult and daunting. What types of DNA tests are available, and which vendors offer them? What other tools are available? How is Native American DNA determined or recognized in your DNA? What information about your Native American ancestors can DNA testing uncover? This book addresses those questions and much more.
Included are step-by-step instructions, with illustrations, on how to use DNA testing at the four major DNA testing companies to further your genealogy and confirm or identify your Native American ancestors. Among the many other topics covered are the following:
- Tribes in the United States and First Nations in Canada
- Chromosome painting
- Population Genetics and how ethnicity is assigned
- Genetic groups and communities
- Y DNA paternal direct line male testing for you and your family members
- Mitochondrial DNA maternal direct line testing for you and your family members
- Autosomal DNA matching and ethnicity comparisons
- Creating a DNA pedigree chart
- Native American haplogroups, by region and tribe
- Ancient and contemporary Native American DNA
Special features include numerous charts and maps; a roadmap and checklist giving you clear instructions on how to proceed; and a glossary to help you decipher the technical language associated with DNA testing.
|Title:||DNA for Native American Genealogy|
|Dimensions:||8.5 x 0.41 x 11 inches|