Although most of the earliest buildings in James Fort were post-in-ground structures, a limited number of bricks were used in cellars and chimneys. By 1608, they were mold made of the locally abundant clay at Jamestown.
After this brick was removed from its mold, it was turned on its side to dry before firing. While the clay was still wet, a pig stepped on it, leaving this deep impression and also unmistakable archaeological evidence of pigs at Jamestown before the Starving Time winter of 1609/1610. In spite of its flaw, the brick was fired in a clamp, and used in the brick-lined cellar of Structure 183, the Blacksmith Shop/Bakery. It was later rediscovered in 2007 during excavations of the building. Further explorations showed that this structure was first used as a metalworking shop, and later for baking bread until about 1616/7.