Job Title: Development Writer
Location: Jamestown, VA
Reports to: Director of Development
The Grants and Proposals Writer works as an advocate, storyteller, and fundraiser to prepare compelling, well-researched grant packages and fundraising proposals for a wide variety of grant-making organizations, as well as develops meaningful, engaging messages about Jamestown that inspire potential and existing donors and guests.
- Identifies and researches funding opportunities and projects to support the Jamestown Rediscovery Foundation’s archaeological, curatorial, conservation, and educational work. In collaboration with Development team and cross-departmental staff, identifies funding priorities, plans work flow, and sets internal deadlines for preparation of grant proposal materials.
- Both independently and in concert with the Development Manager, plans, authors, and submits well-written, competitive grant proposals and funding requests for corporations, foundations, governmental agencies, and individuals. Meets all deadlines and requirements and continues to work with funders post-award, performing appropriate follow-up reporting.
- Works directly with high-level donors to craft personalized communications that acknowledge significant gifts and build on long-standing relationships in the form of personal correspondence on behalf of the Foundation President.
- With the Development team, drafts persuasive fundraising communications that accurately convey organization’s mission and maintains relationships with donors. Prepares mailings to meet fundraising goals, from editing and proofreading all copy to assembling outgoing appeals and campaigns.
- With the Development Manager, writes informative and interesting articles that effectively communicate organization goals and activities for publication in the Foundation’s annual newsletter.
- Proofreads and edits additional forms of organization-related marketing communications as needed, including press releases, emails, social media posts, and brochures, to encourage new and returning visitation to Jamestown.
- With Development Manager, assembles timely gift stewardship reports to illustrate the effectiveness of donor involvement.
- In collaboration with the audience management team, collects, organizes, and carefully maintains the variety of Jamestown constituents to effectively target messaging.
- Assists with press, donor, and Board visits and events, participating in the overall success of the Development department.
job requirements and qualifications
Minimum of a four-year degree (B.A in English, History, Archaeology, or other related field preferred).
Excellent written and oral grammar and communication skills. Background in database administration, audience management, and proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel are essential. Experience with The Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising software preferred. Must have a comprehensive understanding of Foundation objectives and the ability to express these in a clear, organized manner.
3-5 years of grant-writing experience for a non-profit organization or in higher education preferred. Demonstrated ability to manage grant development activities, including building and maintaining relationships with funding bodies, tracking and meeting submission deadlines, and project management.
- Must be extremely organized, detail-oriented, and deadline-driven, working effectively under pressure. Must have strong analytical and communication skills and the flexibility to work in an environment with widely varying workload levels. Must be able to work with minimal supervision by assuming the responsibilities required of the position and working in a proactive manner.
- Must be able to adapt to changing work priorities and be willing to work non-standard hours, including weekends and evenings, as needed.
- Must have a polished and professional demeanor when representing the Foundation and/or interacting with donors and be comfortable on camera.
- Must be dedicated to Jamestown Rediscovery Foundation’s mission, keeping the Foundation’s long-term needs always at heart.
Other Required Key Responsibilities or Duties:
Stays informed and up-to-date on latest developments and activities at the organization, not limited to but including: press and donor visits; major archaeological discoveries; exhibition openings; in-person educational programming and tours; publications; seasonal events; and grants and awards.
Provides communications assistance, proofreading, and editing for other Foundation departments, as needed.
Jamestown Rediscovery Foundation offices located at Jamestown, Virginia. When special events or donor visits are planned, participation may be required.
Commensurate with qualifications.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For full consideration apply by March 3, 2023.
The Jamestown Rediscovery Foundation is a subsidiary of Preservation Virginia. Preservation Virginia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.