digital outreach specialist
Primary Function: Works as a member of a team of technical and subject specialists to advance JRF’s digital initiatives. Manages Jamestown Rediscovery’s web presence; assists with the organization’s social media channels; and creates new digital content, such as web text, images, maps, and interactive online features.
duties of the position:
- Manages JRF’s historicjamestowne.org website to ensure content is up-to-date as well as clearly and consistently presented. Coordinates with JRF staff to make their departmental content available online.
- Develops website content, including text and images, and builds pages in WordPress.
- Manages the website’s technical infrastructure and installs WordPress, theme, and plug-in updates, as needed.
- Assists with social media by providing updates and responding to comments.
- Identifies and digitizes relevant materials for online applications. May include scanning; digital photography; transcription/OCR conversion of text/data; text encoding; working with 2D and 3D spatial data; and cataloging in project databases.
- Keeps up-to-date on technological applications for cultural heritage and current directions of the field.
- 4-year degree in archaeology, anthropology, history, American studies, or related field.
- Strong communication skills, especially writing for a public audience.
- Experience with social media technologies, which may include some or all of the following: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to complete work quickly and efficiently and to prioritize tasks across multiple projects to meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with scanning and digital imaging techniques and standards as well as computer imaging software (Adobe Photoshop).
- Advanced degree in archaeology, history, American studies, or related field.
- Knowledge of seventeenth-century Virginia and American history.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Access database system; SQL Server and/or collections management systems.
- Experience with 2D and/or 3D technologies applied to cultural heritage, such as: ArcGIS; AutoCAD; 3D Studio Max; Maya; Revit.
- Familiarity with the Text Encoding Initiative (TEI).
schedule & compensation
This position is full-time (40 hours per week) Monday through Friday, although occasional weekend work may be required. Compensation will be commensurate with level of skill and experience.
Preservation Virginia offers competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package that includes Medical, Health Savings Account with employer contribution, Dental, Life, Short & Long Term Disability, 403(b) plan with an employer match, paid time off, and holiday pay.
Please submit a cover letter, CV/résumé, and a writing sample (5 pages maximum) via email or postal mail to the address below. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Director of Digital Initiatives
Jamestown Rediscovery Foundation
1365 Colonial Parkway
Jamestown, VA 23081
No phone calls please.
The Jamestown Rediscovery Foundation is a subsidiary of Preservation Virginia. Preservation Virginia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.