Introduced in the early 16th century, the close burgonet helmet was designed to provide full face protection while at the same time evoking classical military authority. In Europe, this type of helmet was mostly worn by cavalry. There was no cavalry in early Jamestown, so the helmet was modified to make it useful.
The visor and chin protection element, known as a bevor, were found in a James Fort cellar that was filled with trash c. 1617. Removal of these components from the skull piece of the burgonet sacrificed some protection but enabled one of the colonists a lighter helmet with greater visibility and flexibility.
This is the third close burgonet helmet found in the Jamestown area.