News

March 2017

Jamestown Rediscovery archaeologists continued excavations in the 1907 Memorial Church this March, focusing on the foundations of the 1617 church. For decades visitors have been able […]

Read more

February 2017

This February, new discoveries in the Memorial Church boosted the Jamestown Rediscovery team’s optimism that more evidence of the third, fourth, and fifth churches on the […]

Read more

January 2017

Although the recent tests in and around the church have been small, they have provided the team with invaluable explanations regarding previous excavations in the early […]

Read more

December 2016

Periodically and weather permitting, the Jamestown Rediscovery archaeological staff is continuing field work during the winter months. Our primary focus is to expand excavations in the […]

Read more

November 2016

This November, Jamestown Rediscovery completed uncovering James Fort’s 1608 extension, which was first discovered back in 2003. In 2003, while working at the north bulwark, archaeologists […]

Read more

October 2016

Following the completion of the well excavation in September, the Jamestown Rediscovery team concentrated on finishing their excavations of Structure 193’s cellar, located at 1608 James […]

Read more

September 2016

After two years of excavations into the cellar located at the corner of James Fort’s 1608 addition, the team finally focused on excavating the well within […]

Read more

August 2016

As is often the case, the most compelling features surface after our annual summer field school, and students and interns have departed. This year was no […]

Read more

July 2016

The Jamestown Rediscovery archaeology team bid adieu to the 2016 Field School participants in July. With their help, we learned more about the east palisade wall […]

Read more

June 2016

June brought the opening of the 2016 Jamestown Rediscovery Field School and the opportunity to investigate areas adjacent to the north side of the 1907 Memorial […]

Read more

May 2016

During the first couple of weeks of May, the Rediscovery team focused on excavating the occupation layer in the cellar located at the northeast corner of […]

Read more

April 2016

During April, archaeologists completed removal of all the trash layers filling the cellar at the northeast corner of the 1608 extension (Structure 193). Several interesting iron […]

Read more